Wednesday 14 January 2009

16 Week Check Up and Heartbeat

Yesterday was my 16-week check up with the midwife at 9am

My first dilemma of the day, the wee sample (yes you have to take one every time) but they baffle you with facts about how its not allowed to be the first wee of the day and it shouldn’t be after having something sweet to drink, so bang goes my morning cup of tea as I’m a two sugar girl. Your probably wondering why this is a dilemma, well when you don’t typically get up until 8am (at a push) there are only so many times you go to the toilet in 45 mins, so morning cuppa was exchanged for some refreshing glasses of water. Mission accomplished and I set off to the docs.

Claire Sweet is my midwife, this is my second time meeting her and she is lovely! Just the sort of person you would like as a midwife, although I will point out she wont be there when I actually go through the traumatic experience of delivering babytays (although we don’t think or talk about that part yet).

First off check the wee sample, all OK, next is the blood pressure and as usually, it is low.

Next are the blood test results from my previous appointment at 12 weeks. All results are all OK including the HIV, which is always a good thing.

You might be wondering what I’m talking about but when your pregnant they test you for HIV & Hepatitis along with a number of other things. Now you might think nothing of this but seriously its not till you have the test you start to think “bloody hell what if I did have it” I have to be honest and say I have made stupid mistakes in the past but its not big and not clever so don’t try it at home kids!! Your be pleased to hear they all come back fine and my blood type was confirmed as 0 positive, which is the most common type.

Ok, results time over and now the exciting bit… listening to the heartbeat.

Now a few weeks ago a friend told me you could tell the sex from the sound of the heartbeat, if it sounds like a horse, it’s a girl and if it sounds like a train, it’s a boy.

Hearing the heartbeat was amazing, it’s the first time that you get to hear the little person growing in side of you. The midwife said it was growing well (although we knew that from the size of my bump already) and its heartbeat was nice and strong, she could even hear it kicking..

So now your wondering what it sounded like… well I would say train so if the theory’s right I’m having a boy, plus with the kicking its already practicing to join his fathers football team BPH. He will be a happy daddy.





No comments:

Post a Comment